Wednesday, May 21, 2008

With a Heavy Heart




Many years ago, in my youth pastoring days, when I took mission trips every year and felt called to find good music that would minister to our young people, I discovered Stephen Curtis Chapman. On one of our trips, the song "On the Mountain" became our theme song. We must have listened to that song a thousand times that week - it spoke to our hearts and to the goal God had set before us.

When Rob and I decided to get married, we kept things as simple and old fashioned as possible. Our youth choir sang to us, we had lemonade and wedding cake on the front lawn of the church, my gown was modeled after a vintage one and was in the prettiest ecru with an ever-so-slight touch of pink. I remember how it seemed time stood still when the Lord's Prayer was sung and when our wedding song, "I Will be There" left not a dry eye in the seriously packed country church.

And "When Love Takes You In" got us through the long wait for Hannah. That song inspired us, helped us keep focused and healed our hurting hearts when we thought we could wait no more.

Stephen Curtis Chapman has been an important piece to my life's story. My heart is heavy today with the recent report that today his youngest daughter was hit by an SUV in their driveway and she has gone home to be with the Lord. Their family has been instrumental and an absolute catalyst for international adoption.

I am praying for their entire family as they deal with this loss, may peace and comfort be your shield Chapmans, we know you are covered in prayer.

15 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

oh Heather, I am praying for them as well, they have inspired me more times than I can count...

Denise C said...

OH no! I did not know this! This is so sad!!! OH my. I am just so sad about this. I will be covering them in prayer too.
His ministry is amazing...we are huge fans too!!

Angie said...

So heartbreaking. I hadn't heard until this morning on the Today Show and I just burst into tears. My heart aches for the whole family and I will certainly be praying.

missy said...

I am so sad about this! My prayer is that Mary is in God's loving hands right now and that God will place a loving, tender hand on the Chapman's son. This is devestating!

DiJo said...

Me too.... What a blessing and inspiration they have been to us and so many others. Jeff and I also had "I will be Here" at our wedding.... We love this family and their hearts for adoption!

Hugs,
Diana

Kate said...

We also had "I will Be Here" sung at our wedding, by my BIL and SIL. I am so saddened by this news and have been praying almost constantly. What a tragic accident. My heart hurts for this inspirational family!

Rachel said...

I have been praying for the Chapman family all morning. Such a wonderful family and such a tragedy. Praying for peace in the midst of this storm...

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Heather~

Obviously, you have been extremely touched by the Chapman family during many phases of your life.

It is so hard to understand why things like this happen...

Hoping they are feeling covered in prayer...

Love you~
Lisa

Danielle Moss said...

I had no idea this happened! How heartbreaking.

Sharon Sloan said...

Heather: You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news this morning. Your family was on my heart, knowing that in many ways this would touch you so personally. It's beyond our understanding. Only our Heavenly Father can get them through this and bring beauty from ashes.

"I will be there" was our wedding song, too. I need to go have a good cry.

Anonymous said...

I join you in prayer for this precious family. They have touched countless people through music and their love for orphans, I hoe that the prayers that are rained down on them now can offer some comfort in this time of heartwrenching grief.

Krista

Linette said...

Heather, I have thought about the Chapman's all day today. Her funeral was this morning and I prayed and prayed for them. As you know they have touched our lives so much and I'm so sad for their loss. I posted a tribute to Maria on my blog. I found it on youtube and I sat at my computer and sobbed. I've never grieved for someone like this before. It's comforting to know so many are holding them up in prayer during these dark days.

Leslie said...

This hits home with me as well, those two songs were very special in our lives too. Wish I could do something to take the hurt away for them.

redmaryjanes said...

I have been praying about it since I heard the news. I am so sad for their entire family.

Melanie said...

My heart breaks for this beautiful family. "I will be here" was one of our wedding songs and "When Love takes you in" is also so close to my heart. I remember the night Leslie and Mark got their pictures of Myah, she played this song on her site and I cried and cried..tears of joy. Their family is and will continue to be a source of hope and inspiration.

Music


 
© Welcome to Our Little Ladybugs!
CoffeeShop Designs