Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Catastrophic

If you have turned on your television within the last 48 hours, then you are aware of the catastrophic earthquake that has occurred in China.

As I flipped on Good Morning America this morning, it made the birthplace of our daughter seem close, not nearly the many miles away that it is. I viewed this news report through the eyes of a mother, a mother so in love with her child that I cannot imagine the pain of those impacted by this disaster. My heart hurt.

The reality that came flying off the screen was that children have been injured, orphaned, frightened. Families have been changed irrevokably, no different than if this disaster had struck right here in our very backyard. We can make a difference. We have an opportunity.

If you are interested in helping, please see Half the Sky or Love without Boundaries and click on the icon for relief fund. These two organizations are already doing so much to love on the children of China, if your heart is led to give, these are the perfect places to do so.

This is where the earthquake struck


Hannah is from Jiangxi province. From the map below, that is quite far from Chengdu. However, we are thinking of all the families waiting for their precious children and for all of our friends that may have been born closer to the disaster sites, this is particularly distressing. We are thinking and praying for you all.



12 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

It is very heartbreaking to hear the news coming out of China right now. My prayers are with them.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Our hearts are one in prayer for the country of our daughters and its people!!

prechrswife said...

Thanks for this post. I've been following all of this closely, but I haven't been able to blog about it yet. The devastation is huge. Definitely praying here...

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Dear Heather~

It is all so hard to take in. I keep thinking about it from so many angles and I feel guilty for some of the things I've thought and wondered about the long-term impacts.

I know a lot of people in this world don't have a real fondness for China but it is impossible for me not to experience emotions knowing this is the homeland of our precious daughters.

Praying...

Love,
Lisa

Kate said...

Heather,

Thanks for posting this. It is devastating. My Lia is from Shaanxi, a neighboring province and there were deaths in Xian where we stayed during our visit to the beautiful China. We are praying here for all involved. So so sad. I can not even watch news coverage of it as it is too upsetting.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

it is amazing how part of your heart stays in China ... I am so saddened for the children ...I pray for healing and relief for all those affected ...

Denise C said...

OH my heart hurts for the precious people of China as well! I am covering them in prayer....and although I do not know their needs...our Father does...and He is mighty to save!
Love you sweet friend!

Angie said...

It is so very heartbreaking. My heart has been so heavy and burdened since I heard the news. We are praying, praying, praying here.

Ashley Winters said...

I am deeply saddened for all the people in China who have experienced the ravages of this quake. My heart goes out to them.

Danielle Moss said...

It is so devastating.

I have already done some donation blogs and was able to donate $50 to HTS. I plan on doing a few more as well.

I can't imagine how incredibly hard this is for parents whose children are half a world away, and for parents whose beautiful children were born there.

Jewels of My Heart said...

I am praying...... it is just so very, very, sad...

Anonymous said...

Heather, what a blessing it was to meet you and your husband at Jeff and Ashley's wedding. I too was blessed with a "gift from God" in an adoption of my son 32 years ago. I too have children from natural childbirth with my wife and each one of them, in their own special way are truly Miracles to me on a daily basis. I am very blessed in that I am one of the brothers' of that special lady you call a friend, Mary and am also blessed to have a "brother" in Ivan. They are truly children of God in all that they do for others ,unselfishly, and the Love that they have for their fellow man (and woman, so I do not appear sexist) . Thank you for sharing your Love on your blog and for the Miracles of Life that you and your husband have in your two daughters.
May your lifes always be blessed with happiness and Love and may you continue in your path as "truly" one of God's servants, spreading the joy that you have been blessed with to others.
It is sometimes very difficult for US (as in United States) to have a true understanding of the suffering of our fellow man in other parts of the world, because it is easier to be an Ostrich, with its head buried in the earth,therefore not having to deal with the problems surrounding All of us, than to be a beautiful bird of song , singing praises for the Lord and also making people aware of the tragedies facing so many on a daily basis. Thank you for being that Lovely bird of song and knowledge doing your part in making individuals more aware of people other than just US (United States)
God Bless and please look after my precious sister Mary in my absence.
Lovingly,
Brother Jim

Music


 
© Welcome to Our Little Ladybugs!
CoffeeShop Designs