Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Urban Renewal

"You've got to continue to grow or you are just like last night's cornbread, stale and dry." ~ Loretta Lynn

Back when I started this craze called blogging, I began following the photography genius of Pixel Fairy Princess. If you have not seen her site, please by all means, visit! PFP is now offering some online courses. Check them out, perhaps one of them would be a great match to your desire to learn.

Now, I do not possess one one hundredth of the vision or prowess that make the PFP so incredibly special, not to mention I do not have a camera bag filled with accessories and tricky little extras. However, when I learned that she would be close by, I wanted in on the action!

Two weeks ago, I was blessed to participate in one of her seminars. It was a weekend session in the city...and it was fabulous!! I learned so much. I was very apprehensive because I am very inexperienced behind the lens and use a pretty standard "point and shoot" (Sony DSC H50). My greatest goal in taking pictures is merely "catching" the moment. My goals now are much bigger, a little more layered and a little more lofty than they were ;) I was in the company of some uber talented women, and I must point out that establishing some new friendships was just as refreshing as the session itself. The weekend proved to be so worthwhile...despite my fears about not being equipped (in every sense), I was more equipped than I thought. This weekend was a much needed pick-me-up after a long winter, it was my very own urban renewal!

Ivy, Jen, Kate, Lisa, Sheryl and Bobbie, what a pleasure to be in your company. You are super women and it was an honor to spend those hours with you. Jen, Kate and Lisa, I look forward to the time when we can see each other, girls in tow!(Nick too, though I fear we have frightened him off:) PFP, what can I say? You are teaching perfection. Debbie's ability to convey critical information, while meeting the needs of all of her participants is unbelieveable. Her talent is unmatched and her gift for sharing simply beautiful. Thank you for everything.

Did I mention how much I learned??? I walked away with such a new sense of light, depth, perception and all things photog-friendly. I have posted a few pics straight from the camera (I never post anything straight from the camera! They always need a lot of help!). In addition to learning how to take a better picture, my next goal is to master developing and editing pictures. The combination of these goals will most certainly take some time:)













Lisa was kind enough to bring two of the sweetest kids in the world. Lisa's dear friend's daughter, Alicia and Lisa's son, Nick rocked it all day long posing and working the camera with such professionalism. Not only did they handle the whole event in stride, but they were helpful and composed the entire time. Just watching them inspired me. Ivy also brought a friend for modeling and Danielle was super cooperative. Alicia, Nick and Danielle, you were so much fun! Thank you for being such great sports!

I have been so busy since the seminar that I have not had much time to test out some of my new skills;) When I do, you will be the first to see!

6 comments:

Jboo said...

Wow -- beautiful photos!! Sounds like it was such a great time! And it does my heart good to see one of my all-time favorite cities, Philadelphia, in your photos!

Hope you all are having a great week.

Janet

day by day said...

These photos are wonderful, Heather!! How exciting to learn new camera tricks and also spend time with friends. : )

Michelle R Photography said...

I've been waiting for this post. I know Debbie was so impressed with you. Of course, what's not to love?!?

You really are not giving yourself enough credit, Heather. You have many talents, and having a great eye is one of them. These are beautiful, Heather, and I am amazed they are SOOC.. from a point-and-shoot! I am headed to see Debbie this weekend and I can't wait. I, too, need this weekend to wind down and have a little girl time. I SO wish you were going to be there!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh Heather, it was so much fun to meet you after talking with you online for almost a year!! You are everything I thought you would be and more.....you made the workshop complete!!

I agree with Michelle, you are VERY TALENTED and you are selling yourself short. You have an incredible eye for photography.....these pictures are fabulous!!

I look foward to getting together with all the kids as soon as our schedules allow!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Lisa

Kate said...

YOur eye is outstanding...and your pictures gorgeous!!! I remember when you took the picture of the waving flag...one of my favorites!!!

YOu are genuine, sweet, talented and lovely...and it wasa real blessing to meet you face to face...a weekend to remember!!!

Unknown said...

Ok, I know coveting is really a bad thing. But I SOOOOO wanted to go to that but found out when it was too late to sign up.

I too LOVE her photography!

You did a great job with your new learned skills!

Miss you!

Love,
Jill

Music


 
© Welcome to Our Little Ladybugs!
CoffeeShop Designs