Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hiding Out

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

Toshiba, my trusty laptop, looked at me the other day. Dusty and forlorn, he stared, feeling the lack of attention he has been recieving lately. He knows other things have occupied my thoughts and time. I have taken a long term sub opportunity until the end of the school year. Birthdays and dance recitals abound. Our docile two year old has morphed into a VERY busy almost three year old and the terrible twos are gliding dangerously close to the traumatic threes. Lately, it feels as though we have been hiding a bit, dwelling in the secret place until the waters calm a bit.

One thing we all know for sure is that the only certain thing about each day is uncertainty. I think that is half the fun of life, never being quite sure of what is going to pop up next. When those uncertainties hit, how do others get through it? Amidst uncertainty, we can always be sure, I mean 100 percent sure of the love of God. He is our secret place, a place to dwell when it is hectic, unknown, when we are unsure...because He is certain. He is solid, stable, our firm foundation.

This has been a strange year. One frought with uncertainty in every area of our lives. Rob's work is always tentative, the struggling economy, layoffs and depleted overtime reduce others' ability to make renovations in their homes. The trickle down effect means that we have experienced many workless weeks this year. When I review those stressful times for us though, I see how the Lord provided work for me even when there was no work for him.

Emily has struggled with four stomach viruses this school year, two of which rendered her limp and lifeless in the hospital. This weekend we had the unexpected midnight trek to the ER. Emily came home from the hospital Monday. She is not feeling well and not eating yet, but even in the midst of her being ill, I see the good in humanity...friends and family who show support, people who pray, nurses and doctors who truly exhibit the love Jesus intended as they care for our child. At this point we are considering this was yet another virus, however the doctors are exploring some other less desirable outcomes. But even as undesirable as they may be, they are not horrible. So we are thankful.

For many, this year has been freckled with similar issues or concerns but I daily see the goodness that is God hard at work and I am thankful for the miracles we get to witness each and everyday when we are willing to be open to them. In the shadow of the Almighty, I see so clearly the light.

For those of you who have sent messages and checked in, thank you! Our blog will remain just where it is. I am hopeful the summer will bring some time to post all of the posts I have missed along this busy way. For those of you I daily check in on, I will be back and I miss seeing what you have been up to.

As I return to my duties of fingerpainting with the small fry and pedialtye nazi with our big ladybug, I will post some of our joyful moments over the past few weeks. I am ever reminded of His mercy amidst the craziness of daily life.


Our dear friend, Gabrielle's 7th Birthday party

Our weekends have been on overdrive since April, Rob working, parties, events...so we scheduled Em's birthday party for the day after her birthday. On her actual birthday, we had a celebration as soon as she woke up.


Emily's face the morning of her birthday, she just caught a glimpse of her new California Chariot


Kit, one of her American Girl dolls got a scooter too!

The next day, her party was such fun.

Kyle tickled the ivories for us :)


Emily had a few gifts to open, this year she has chosen to collect gently used toys to donate to the Center for the Blind in hopes of raising money for Seeing Eye Dogs. If we choose to do a children's party over the summer, she will continue to collect.


The kids clowned around!


A friend will always help you put your candles on the cake!


Emily, Joshua and Gabrielle rode their chariots


Hannah hung out with Amanda, little buddies!

Amanda was next celebrating her 13th birthday!!




More clowning kids!!


A quiet moment for Hannah and Kipper


Marshmellows by the fire pit, mmmmm

Next up to blow out three little candles, Miss Hannah!

9 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

So glad you had a rendez-vous with "Toshiba"! Your posts are always written so beautifully! :)

LOVE the pix! :)

Glad Em is on the road to recovery -- keep drinking, Em! :) We love you!

Wow...almost three candles for that spunky Hannah! Wowzie!

Gonna go sit outside while the cherubs ride their California Chariots. (I heart no home work nights!)

Love you
Sharon

MacMui Mom said...

Hather-

So sorry to hear Emily has not been feeling well and life has been a bit challenging. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Please tell Emily I would love to donate to her toy drive. My older brother is deaf-blind and has a hearing/seeing eye dog. What a sweet and tender child of God she is!!! If you are at the PSBI China get together in June, I will make sure to bring things for her. Tell her that I am really proud of her and totally believe in what she is doing from personal experience.

Hugs and prayers,

Lisa R

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am so sorry to hear that Miss Emily has been sick again and in the hospital......you have been through so much this year!! Sending hugs and prayers that she is back to herself in no time!

It looks like she had quite a bday celebration....such cute pictures!!

Miss You and hope to see you soon:)

Lisa

Jboo said...

So sorry to hear that Emily has been ill -- that is such a worry, isn't it.

What a lovely party and such a sweet birthday girl!

Have a great week.

Janet

Kate said...

Oh my...so sorry Emily is sick again. That in itself is so difficult...but on top of everything else...oh my. I am struck by how much she looks like you in these recent pictures...just ethereal...a true angel on earth.

I understand the hiding part...we've had a bit of nesting time ourselves...and it has been a growing, happy time.

Please take care...and I hope to see you soon...

Kate

Michelle R Photography said...

I am constantly blown away by how eloquently you write. You are so poetic and thoughtful. Toshiba wants you back!!

I am so very sorry to hear that Em is sick yet again. I will pray for her recovery and healing.

BTW, I have never seen such beautiful writing on a cake as was on Emily's. Did you do that? It wouldn't surprise me one bit. And that charriott... I want one!! I guess I need to get with the times, eh? They're pretty cool.

Love,
Michelle

Paige said...

Hi,

When I first saw Emily was sick and taken to the ER my heart overflowed to you and I immediately wanted to know more. I am so happy she had a better day.

One day in the future when things are peaceful for both of us we will indeed need to catch up on at least the last 10+ years...Today though I truly apperciate the harder times you are going through both in health and household.

For better or worse, I had to stop working a year ago and Joey sells cars... but, like you say things have a way of balancing themselves out as all that is outweighed when we heard that finally both of our children 8 and 10 are considered "healthy" and not a surgery in site for many years:)("knock on wood":)

Hang in, be strong, but take good care of yourself. Be kind to yourself in the days ahead!!! Laughter is truly the best medicine:)

Love your blog site! And I especially LOVE your pictures of the girls!!!!

Linette said...

Heather, I've been thinking and praying for you so much since I heard Emily was back in the hospital. I'm so glad she's back home and will pray she starts eating soon. I related to this post since it's been a strange year for us as well. Like you..I'm very thankful for our God who never changes in such trying times!

Sarah said...

Delighted to meet you! Found your blog via another one, but excited to meet another mom with a heart for adoption. We've just begun our journey to adoption through Ethiopia. I'll be back to visit more often and get to know you.

Hugs from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn

Music


 
© Welcome to Our Little Ladybugs!
CoffeeShop Designs