Friday, March 26, 2010

GOTCHA!

The civil affairs building was crowded and warm inside. Mommies and daddies nervously paced, rubbed their hands together, craned their necks, straining to see that first glimpse of their newest family member.



And there she was. Jim was on the phone with me. I could hear the muffled sounds of voices, voices speaking quickly. Mandarin. Translators. Jim was speaking in short choppy sentences, "Ooh, they are coming over. Oh, wait, well I see her. She is beautiful. She looks okay, content." Like balm to a wound, Jim's words helped soothe my mommy's heart. I was not there. My husband graciously, bravely awaited our daughter being handed to him. He was nervous, very nervous. Yet, he rose to the occasion. Big time.

Friends kindly yelled into the phone describing the scene...I certainly felt like I was there. Hannah's nanny had trouble letting go...I would have too. I mean, she's Hannah. Our Hannah.

Fever-stricken and frightened, Hannah rallied, daring to trust the two American men.

And those men rocked the house, caring for a sick baby girl. Loving on her, feeding her, cleaning her, getting those first smiles, giggles, belly laughs. They'd bounce Cheerios on her tray, praying she would learn to put them in her mouth. They stood her up and played peek a boo. And Hannah began to trust.



Fast forward. Yes, fast is the operative word..it has gone so quickly. Three years have passed and Hannah daily surprises us, amazes us, reels us in. She is wise and wild, shy and sure of what she wants, funny and fun to be around, bold and louder than the loudest sound in the room. She has learned how to love and be loved.




Something happens when a child enters our world. A heart that once was worn on the inside takes a new home and plants itself firmly on the outside, revealing the transparency that transcends all other things, the love of parenthood.

Happy Gotcha Day Hannah Leigh, we are so very thankful God chose us to be your family forever and ever.

21 comments:

Adele said...

Happy Gotcha Day! She is absolutely precious! Enjoy celebrating this very special day. :)
Lots of love,
Adele

Sharon Sloan said...

Oh my....you got me crying! Lump in throat! Love this. Love Hannah. Love Rob and Jim for safely bring Hannah home to you all! Lumps and tears....we love you Hannah!

Jboo said...

What a sweet post to your darling Hannah! Got me all choked up too! Have a great weekend with your girls!

Janet

Shonni said...

How sweet to remember such an awesome time for your family!

Mrs. S. said...

I don't even know you, but the second to last paragraph had me in tears...we went through horrible infertility treatments for 5 straight years before I got the call to adopt a baby from China....Kate, age 6 1/2 now & from Chongquing, has filled my heart beyond anything that I could have ever imagined...I am copying your words and making a little sign out of them, they were THAT beautiful! Lynn Schadler, Wyomissing, PA

3 Peanuts said...

Happy Gotcha Day! I completely forgot! I am really sick ( stomach bug and high fever) but still...I cannot believe I did not know todays date!

prechrswife said...

Happy Gotcha Day to Hannah! She is growing up so much. :-) Precious post.

day by day said...

Oh, how I love Gotcha stories!!! I can never get enough of them. hee hee! Thanks for sharing such a special day with us!!

have a great week-end~
love,
Michelle

fleur de lis cottage said...

Happy Gotcha Day!!

DiJo said...

I will never forget the anticipation of that special day when Hannah and Kate were finally with their Daddy's!!!! Heather your description of what happens to our hearts when these special children are given to us is so incredibly moving and perfect!!!

Love,
Diana

Jodee said...

Happy Gotcha Day! What a sweet post for your adorable Hannah! Your family is soooo blessed!

MacMui Mom said...

Happy Gotcha Day to a wonderful family!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Happy family day sweet girl:) You were perfectly made by our Heavenly Father and I love how He loved you so much....He also chose the most special family for you:)

Jewels of My Heart said...

Happy Gotcha Day precious family.....
I love how God heals wounded hearts and they blossom.....
Welcome home little one...
love,
Daleea

Michelle R Photography said...

Oh, happy, happy day!! What a brave man your husband was to go it alone. Happy three wonderful years, friend!

TanyaLea said...

Oh precious...thank you for sharing some of your story again, for those of ous who are newer to your blog. Hanna is so beautiful and such a precious addition to your family. God is good and SO faithful! Happy belated Gotcha Day! :)

Hugs,
Tanya

Much Ado said...

Happy Gotcha! Wow, is it 3 years already!!! Where does the time go? God is good. This post totally left me with a lump in my throat.

Football and Fried Rice said...

She seriously gets more adorable EVERY time I see her picture!! Happy Gotcha day, sweet Hannah!

Linette said...

Happy Gotcha Day! You got me all teary-eyed reading this post. Your Hannah is so precious and I know every day with her is a gift!

Love,
Linette

prashant said...

She is absolutely precious! Enjoy celebrating this very special day. :)
home jobs india

Kristi said...

Happy Gotcha Day!

Isn't it a miracle what happens when a baby joins a family?

Music


 
© Welcome to Our Little Ladybugs!
CoffeeShop Designs